Monday, August 8, 2011

Telling our story

Tommy is now 5 1/2 months old.  His cataract is such a small part of who he is, that I don't even think about it on a daily basis.  Sure, I think about his contact (whether it is there or not) and his patch (and how much he hates it), but all that is just part of our routine... much like brushing teeth or getting dressed.  While I don't exactly forget that he has a patch, I don't often remember that it is strange for a baby to be wearing one!  So, it has started to surprise me when someone asks about it.  
I've had to explain the story quite a bit lately, as my husband gave a testimony in church a few weeks ago about small groups.  He told Tommy's story- it relates to small groups as our small group was an amazing source of support for us. 
Now a lot of people in our church (in our relatively small town) see us around town and ask about Tommy.  It is very difficult to explain the patch.  People think we patch the "bad eye" to protect it, or we previously patched the "bad eye" after surgery.  They are often surprised that we patch the "good eye" to make the "bad eye" stronger. 
Strangers are a different story.  I think I have it down pretty well, I usually tell them that he had a cataract at birth, similar to the cataract you get when you are older.  I also tell them that it is different, because 1) it is rare and 2) since a baby learns to see after birth, the cataract is a much bigger deal and we are working to correct his vision.  I tell them that he wears a contact, and laugh about how much it costs ($250 EACH, not for a year's worth!) I explain that we patch the "good eye" to make the cataract eye get strong.  Those who are interested will ask follow up questions, those who are bored will glaze over and be glad when I am done talking.  Interestingly enough, I have never had a negative experience with all of this.  I've caught people staring, which I completely understand, I tell them the story (whether they asked or not!) and it is fine.  We certainly have had quite a few kids ask us what happened, and I modify my above speech just a bit.  But really, no one has been malicious.  I've had a few "poor baby" or "isn't that terrible?" comments- and I agree with them, it is terrible that he had to go through this and will deal with a lot growing up with this.  But I also feel very thankful that he is otherwise a healthy, happy little baby.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome!!! Sometimes it feels like our family's new normal, and then we go out somewhere. I inevitably get asked about his condition 10x. I understand that it is a curious thing to see a baby with a patch on one eye, but it can get old answering the same question 10x in one outing. The craziest thing anyone has ever said to me about the patch was that he would be probably be cute if he didn't have that patch on his face. Most of the time though, people are just concerned. Glad you are coping so well. It will help him on his journey! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should point out that pople can't figure out if they should stare at Tommy or at our large family. I get MUCH more offended by people's reaction to me having 4 kids. That is where people lose their tact. Missy- I am so sorry people say anything bad about your son. He is adorable and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are really insensitive at times. They really say the most idiotic things. They talk before they think about how it will sound. My husband has four brothers and sisters. I wouldn't think 4 is large. Now the Duggars have a large family. :) Of course, they also have a reality TV show.

    ReplyDelete