Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Allergies and Contacts do not mix

Life just isn't fair.  As if poor  Tommy (and any iKid) didn't have enough to deal with- we apparently have added seasonal allergies to his list of medical drama.  Not great when you live in a house on 2.5 acres of land, 1 acre of which is just trees and weeds (umm, wildflowers?).  

Again?  At the doctor again?

After my last post- I didn't stop worrying.  Each morning I wiped his eyes and hoped that one more day of no contact, no patching wouldn't do long term damage.  Then- on the way into day care I hear "Mommy, eye hurt!" and crying from the back seat.  I am forcing myself not to panic.  I called the eye doctor, well, the receptionist, who basically said "go ahead and panic".  Maybe her words were, "Since he is aphakic, we really should see him right away, come on in."   You all hear her underlying meaning, right?  No doctor's office ever says "come on in" as breezily as if we were old pals.  So, I proceeded to panic until we got there.  What if's played over and over in my head.

We get there, and there was much less fanfare.  We had to wait in the waiting room just like everyone else (never thought THAT would be a relief!)  We saw a technician, who did so many more eye tests than he has ever had- that I was just plain confused.  I finally saw the vision cards that all iMoms talk about!  Tommy could identify the telephone (thank-you Blue's Clues!) but thought that the airplane was a dolphin.  (?)  The bird he called a "ducky" but I was OK with that.  Then she FINALLY gets to the pressures- and they were F.I.N.E. fine.  Breathe.  Ok.  Then the fellow came in with an ER-Doc-in-training.  Tommy was a rock star!  They used lots of different ways to look in his eyes- he let the fellow do it, then let the other doctor test him.  So sad that he lets people poke around his eyes like it is any  normal day.

But- he is fine.  Pressures fine, no infection.  Just plain unlucky.  A week later we are still dealing with copious amounts of boogers from eyes and nose- but no infection.  I'm using antihistamines, but also worry that those will impact the pressure in his eye.  It is a fine balance between long term damage vs long term strengthening of his eye.  It is a fine balance between making him wear the contact and patch for a little bit- and letting him have some comfort.  I'm learning to juggle- and balance- and try to just let go sometimes!

One of the few days of patching time!

7 comments:

  1. Poor Tommy! Allergies are the pits, even moreso for our little ikids. Hopefully when summmer hits and things stop blooming he will feel a bit better. He certainly handled everything like a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so frustrating. I do feel like our kids should get breaks from everything else in life since they have so much to deal with already! Sort of like a permanent "Get out of jail free" card.

    I am sorry for all of the frustration and WORRY!! The worry for the imom is really the hardest part :(

    I will say that he is pretty darn precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice... Allergies! How perfectly horrible! Hope that it subsides. I have heard that this allergy season is killer right now. I feel the same way at the doctor's office. Proud of him for sitting so still and sad that he is alright with it.

    When Austin says "EYE hurts," the world stops here. :) Until we find out why...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relieved you know what it is... bummed that it is one more thing. Hang in there imomma, you got one heck of an iwarrior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, ikids should get a free pass on things that make contacts and patching harder and the worrying greater. I hope his allergies have subsided and you're back to the old ibattles~ patches and contacts. Love the picture at the doctor...it says so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 3.5mo with congenital cataract in his left eye so THANKS! For writing this. It seems there might be an online community of mms in similar situations, but I can't seem to find them. Can you help a mom out? I'd really love to compare notes here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son was just diagnosed with a congenital cataract and we have his surgery schedule for Thursday. He's 4 months. I would love to know where I can connect with other moms going through this! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete