Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Does the worrying ever really stop?

I like to pretend that I'm all zen with this eye thing.  Or, maybe it is that I'm mostly settled with it all if I don't think about it too hard.  I'm still bothered when someone new asks me something stupid, but those questions get fewer as he gets older.  I'm sure the next step is figuring out how to handle kids teasing.  But, if I don't think about it, life is good.
This just makes me laugh and pretty much sums up his personality.

But there are days when the reality of it all comes crashing into my consciousness.  Maybe I'm being too dramatic.  But I got a call to come get him at daycare because he looked like this:

His left eye is the eye with the contact.
Yikes!  What is that.  An allergy?  Is he sick?  I don't know- still don't know.  I take his contact out, we gave him Benadryl and he was fine within 30 minutes.  Tommy is allergic to hummus, my daycare provider had eaten Tahini sauce earlier in the day- we kinda just assumed he had gotten some on him.  No problems.  
Little puffy, but not so bad. 
The next two days he had a fever and was cranky.  Ok, a virus, right?  I'm still quelling this tendency to freak out.  Sunday- fine, no worries.  Phew.

Monday, fine, slight rash.  I send him to daycare.  He's cranky, my daycare provider is wonderful and deals with it.  I pick him up and he's puffy and cranky.  More Benadryl.  More worry.  Don't know.

Tuesday he wakes up looking like this:

Who is this??
 More panic- he can breathe fine (no asthma) so I give him more Benadryl (which, by the way, does NOT make my boy sleep!) and make an appointment with the doctor.   (By the way, his contact is OUT)

At the doctor's office- he looks slightly rashy, but normal.  No puffy eyes.  No swollen face.  AUGH!  I'm not even sure she believed me!  (I did show her photos- she likely thinks I'm crazy).  She says it's probably Strep.  Really?   He also happens to have a double ear infection (oops, he wasn't complaining of that!)  Good mom award for me (not!)  Augmentin here we go.

Today (Wednesday) he is fine.  Slight rash.  No puffiness.  In the back of my mind, I worry.  What if it's his contact?  Is he allergic to it?  What if it's glaucoma (not saying I'm rational here)?  What if it is....??  Who knows what.

I swear I didn't worry this much with my other 3....


Back to normal!  (Last night- lucky kid is getting a break from contact and patching while I calm myself)

4 comments:

  1. Poor Tommy! That looks miserable! I don't think we will ever stop worrying (and I get that irrational "what if it is glaucoma" fear over every tear, runny nose, etc). It is hard being a mom (and an imom). At least he is getting a little break from patching. Hang in there! (and he is super cute even when he is swollen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, (((hugs)))! Second, the worrying seems to be never ending. Of course, we don't tell everyone we're worried because then they'll worry and somehow convince us are worries are true or look at us like we're crazy and neither is good. Definitely must be a an imom (or just a mom) thing when every thing about the EYE could potentially be a bad thing (glaucoma, retinal detachment). Hang in there and I'm glad to hear that his eye is all good :)
    PS~ Even when he's not feeling well, he is a heartbreaker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh... That looks scary! I freak out over anything Austin-related, way more than I do the other kids. Glaucoma, the silent vision killer, freaks me out! (Hugs) Glad he is doing better! How it stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the iworry... more than I want to admit, ha. I cringe over every squint, tear, irritation, eye related, non-eye related facial anything. Unfortunately, I don't think it's gonna stop, sigh. I was so relieved to read that his EYE is still healthy though. iworry for all of us. ;)

    ReplyDelete