Friday, November 16, 2012

Baby Bifocals

I rock these glasses!

I'm coming to terms with Tommy having glasses.  I'm not sure Tommy is getting any more comfortable with them, though!  I obsess about them much more than Tommy wears them, but it is progressing.  Sometimes I think he even forgets he is wearing them!


I think the hardest part for me now is that Tommy's glasses are different.  He has one clear side (no prescription) and one bifocal.  A old-person, big line-in the middle bifocal lens.  But just on one side.  I had someone ask me the other day "Oh, did he crack them already?"  Um, NO!  And if he did, do you REALLY think I'd let him wear them?  Or maybe you didn't think I noticed the big crack in the middle and you felt the need to point it out?  Um no.

Back when I couldn't wait for Tommy to get glasses, I never imagined this bifocal line.  From what I understand, children do better with the visible bifocal lens compared to progressive lenses because the difference in vision is drastic enough to help them learn the right place to look.  You need to learn where to look to optimize the utility of the lens.

The kid loves to pose!
When I first picked up Tommy's glasses, they had made them wrong.  They had put bifocals in both lenses.  It took me asking why for the optomotry assistant to notice.  We sent them back and they were corrected, but I was still unsettled.   I was skeptical that anything was right once we got them.  So when I (with my normal vision) looked through the glasses, I was convinced they had done them wrong.  The bottom part of the lens is for close-up vision. When I look through Tommy's, it magnifies thing.  This made sense.  However, when I looked though the top part, which is supposed to correct for distance, it made things smaller.  I was convinced that there was an error.  In my mind, I thought, "no WONDER he won't wear them!"  I was wrong.  I still can't explain it, but I did a lot of research to try.  I was hoping to read up and study and post an earth-shattering educational session on baby-glasses.  Well, I read up, I studied... but in the midst of that, I stumbled upon this.  Little Four Eyes "Understanding your Child's Glasses Prescription".  Super cool site, super-cool post.  Maybe you'll just be impressed at my research skills.  Or more likely, you read that post before you found mine.    I do hope you read this post... and really hope that you check out this link:  What your child's vision might look like without correction

I haven't figured out this glasses thing.  We are still working on it.  I will tell you that it takes a lot of work to get cream cheese out of the bifcal lens line.  I suggest removing glasses before serving anything messy.  I look forward to the day when he chooses to wear them... when they help him see.







Tommy and his big sis!


7 comments:

  1. O.M.G. what a gorgeous kid! (and big sister too!) And why do people ask such unbelievable questions. Like we would put broken glasses on our child or patch them for fun. Goodness gracious. On a sidenote....has anyone seen the pic with Mariah Carey and her baby girl. The media claims she put glasses on her baby for fashion reasons...but they totally look like thick lensed Miraflex! Peaked my curiousity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. Mallory has a progressive lens. The PO didn't specify, and I didn't ask, what type of bifocal to get. I admit I chose the progressive because I feared she wouldn't wear them because the lenses were different. She's 4 and very aware of her peers and their reactions. That being said, she dislikes them. Before she would wear her glasses, no problem. Now it's a battle and now a battle to patch too. We're back to cheating while patching.... Pulling up the corner to see through with her good eye. She still thinks I don't notice this even though her head is turned sideways and angled. There are days when this process is so frustrating.
    I agree.... You have gorgeous, happy kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smiles on your kiddos... Pretty crazy the questions... I want to punch some people. Are they real? Does he have to wear them? If they wear glasses, I think I am going to turn it around on them. Are yours real? Do you HAVE to wear them? I mean really people. Shut the heck up and just stare like everyone else in the grocery store. :/ I am not bitter. At all. HA :)

    I agree Karla, they look real to me. The glasses make her eyes look a little bigger. Could be wrong.. but I doubt it.

    It didn't take Austin long to adjust. But he had worn them before because of contact intolerance. The phase where he starts to forget them from time to time, is right before he wears them all the time. Seriously, you are almost there. Keep up the good work, Momma! He is positively freaking adorable!


    ReplyDelete
  4. Anderson's are exactly the same way and the bifocal line is so thick on that one side and it used to drive me crazy! It made sense to me solely because I love/trust/love/worship our PO. Anderson definitely took awhile to get to used to his and it is so much harder because you are also wrestling a patch! It will get easier. Not easy, just easier!

    Also, HOW CUTE IS THE TOP PIC?? Not just the glasses, but the post it notes everywhere??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally put Easton's glasses up to my face and pretend I am "seeing" like him. As a parent who's eyes are healthy, vision impairment no matter how extreme is just hard for me to imagine. While I am grateful for my own two eyes, I often wonder what a day in his life is like. Easton will eventually get a bifocal lens as well and I am sure he will have an adjustment period, as will I. Hang in there Momma he will adjust, just as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree! Baby Monroe totally has eye stuff! On google images there is one shot with her eye turned in, and I'm pretty sure that those are bifocals! One image really looks like they have "the line". I hope they use this for good- it could do wonders for the cause! (No matter what cause it is!).
    Heck- maybe she even has read one of our blogs!! Underneath it all, she probably obsesses just as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that Mariah's baby is rocking some prescription Miraflex. Why would you order Miraflex for fashion? I think the lenses make her eyes look bigger - which would mean she is farsighted.

    I'm hoping Tommy gets better and better about wearing his glasses. It seems like all the imoms are dealing with glasses at the moment. I'm not looking forward to the bifocal if it means another new adjustment. You are handling it like a champ.

    I've held up Julia's glasses too - but it makes me a little sad. As does the vision simulator on that website. But then I am amazed at my little miracle and how well she navigates with her low vision.

    On a side note - when are we planning Ohio? I need to meet all the Imoms in person! :)

    ReplyDelete