Thursday, June 23, 2011

Infant Aphakic Contacts vs "normal contacts"

If you look closely, you can see a bulge in his eye- that is the center of the contact!
Tommy's Contact- look at that bubble!

Daddy's contact- look how thin!

I am constantly amazed at how thick Tommy's contact in.  I can actually see a bulge in his eye- which makes it easy to spot, but must be slightly uncomfortable.  That bubble in the middle is not solution- it is his thick contact!   To put it in perspective here is Tommy's contact, a prescription of +23 dipters to his dad's prescription of -3.25 diopters.  Yes, that is a difference of 19.75 diopters!  (His dad does not have aphakia)

2 comments:

  1. Hi- I was doing some research and found your blog. It's really nice! My son is also aphakic and wears super thick contacts like your son - And my son is also named Tommy! Good luck to your little man.

    I have a blog about my son also - http://thomasmarshalldoesitall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out two days ago that my seven month old has cataracts and will be having surgery in two weeks. I wasn't as shocked as you may think because I actually had cataracts removed at the same age (in 1984). I grew up wearing glasses (and still do, even after lens implants) and am leaning towards them for my baby as well. I look forward to reading more of your blog for insight into cataracts in the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete