Monday, June 6, 2011

Shocking Realization

It has hit me in the past few days that Tommy is actually normal!  Now, normal is relative in our house, but nonetheless, Tommy is no longer "My Baby with a Cataract" but just Tommy, my baby.  I say this with such surprise because when we first found out about his condition, it consumed my every thought and ounce of energy.  I mourned the fact that he wasn't a normal, healthy baby.  I worried about what might happen,   I worried what people would think, I worried that he might not be able to see, I worried that he wouldn't lead a full and productive life, and yes, I worried about how his condition would impact the rest of our family.  I worried constantly about anything and everything.  I obsessed over his condition with all of my might. 
Yes, he wears contacts, he gets patched multiple times per day, and I have no idea what the future holds for him.  But really?  He is a normal, healthy 3 month old boy.  He cries, he smiles, he laughs, he plays, he screams, he sleeps.  We enjoy him fully- but not like he is a fragile sick boy. 
 This must have happened gradually, but it hit me all of a sudden.  When it hit me was yesterday at church someone asked me "what happened to his poor eye?" and it took me a minute to remember.  I was not thinking about his contact or patch or cataract!  It is a great feeling and I am ever so thankful for it!  I know he has a rough road ahead, but overall, we are pretty lucky for his addition to our family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment