Sunday, June 26, 2011

Patch Rash

Tommy has reached the point in his therapy where he has to patch four hours per day.  He has also reached that point in his development where he can successfully pull off his patch.  He hates being patched.  At baseline, his skin is sensitive and appears to itch all the time.  The patch just adds to that.  I'm fairly certain that he can't see very well out of the "bad eye" (but I'm trying to remain optimistic that he can see something!) and the patch irritates his skin.  I don't blame him for being crabby- but it is no fun for anyone!  I haven't found that magic thing to keep him occupied while patched.  I've heard that TV, video games, movies, and bribes may work when he is older.  At 4 months old, it is just simple persistence.  I'm thankful that we have a daycare provider who genuinely loves him and wants him to see as much as we do.  She helps out a TON by keeping him patched during the weekdays, I'm certain that most daycare centers wouldn't be so vigilant.
Nonetheless, Tommy went through 3 patches today.  I even tried a super-sticky, ugly band-aid type patch.  He pulled that off as well, and was left with "patch rash" that makes him look like he has a big red circle around his eye.  I've been putting hydrocortisone on it, but the poor baby is stuck looking like this for a few days!  I need to keep reminding myself that patching is good for him and it makes his eye stronger.

2 comments:

  1. I put milk of magnesia on his face and let it dry before applying the patch. That has really helped. He has very sensitive skin, so any patch breaks him out like this if I don't apply milk of magnesia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this blog! My 16-month-old has been patching for 4 months now, but only recently have I started to notice a rash around his eye. I'm going to try the milk of magnesia, and if that doesn't work, the hydrocortisone. I too, have to remind myself that this is all to help his vision in the long run, but I feel so bad for my little guy that he has to do this every day.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete