Sunday, June 19, 2011

Missing: 1 very expensive contact

We lost our first contact.  I don't know exactly when it happened, Tommy woke up on Saturday morning with no contact.  I don't remember exactly when I last saw it in his eye- it has become habit to look so it barely registers in my mind anymore.  I searched his car seat, his bed, each blanket he played on in the last 24 hours- no luck.  I scoured his clothes, my clothes, and the chair where I feed him in his room- no luck.  We had been out to dinner and shopping the night before- my guess is that we lost it somewhere while out. I'm so mad!  Mad at myself for not checking before we leave anywhere, mad that each contact costs $250, mad that I have no idea if our insurance will cover it or not.  I'm also mad that it happened on a Saturday- the optometrist isn't open until Monday morning, then they have to order it.  He will be without a contact for at least 5 days- 5 days where he won't be gaining strength in his bad eye.
I'm doing my best no to rant against insurance companies here.  I've done my best to figure out what our insurance will cover for contacts.  We were considering getting supplemental insurance, but wanted to wait to see if our primary insurance would cover contacts.  I called the insurance company on three different occasions- and no one could give me an answer.  A claim has to be filed before they can tell me anything.  (How backwards is that?)  So far, they appear to have paid for his initial contact and his first change in prescription.  I guess this will be the real test to decide what they will cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment