Saturday, February 25, 2012

What a difference a year makes!

One year ago today I sat in our pediatrician's office for a routine check.  It was anything but normal.


One year ago that same pediatrician found a small imperfection in my baby boy's eye.  Or rather, she found an absence of something.  See: And so it begins


One year ago today I learned what a red reflex was... and what it could mean not to have one.
See: Red Reflex



One year ago today I couldn't look into my baby's eyes without crying.


One year ago today I mourned the fact that my baby wasn't perfect.  That is still hard to admit.


One year ago I wondered if I would survive the next 4 days until I knew what the diagnosis was.


One year ago I prayed harder than I have ever prayed in my life.   I prayed that my baby would have a cataract, not cancer (retinoblastoma).


One year ago today, I became obsessed with eyes.


Oh what a difference a year makes!


Today I only briefly even thought about the eye... only for a moment when I decided that the goop coming out of the eye meant that I couldn't put in a contact or patch.  I vowed to let him enjoy it.n  (He did!)

Today I changed diapers, fed children, picked up toys, did laundry...  normal mom stuff.

Today I encouraged a little boy to talk, to walk, and I tickled him until he could barely breathe.


Today is a MUCH better day.


7 comments:

  1. Wow the year mark... it certainly does make a difference! Congratulations on making it this far!!! So glad you and Tommy got to enjoy the day being normal, you both deserve it! ;) He is such a little sweetheart. I love his hair, it makes me miss my babies' baby hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perspective is such an encouraging thing! Great job on a year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year! Another milestone. What a beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is absolutely adorable. I am glad you enjoyed the anniversary. It is amazing what a year can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a powerful post. I must admit it moved me to tears when I read it. I'm so happy for you guys being able to spend today completely different than a year ago. I'm still in the beginning stages of going through all of this and your words are truly inspiring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Darcie. What a wonderful post! Tommy is beautiful, and I am certain that you will be able to powerfully encourage other families that are going through the same diagnosis. What a tremendous testimony and blessing! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One year ago, and until today, you’ve been a brave mom. You should be proud about that because you were able to overcome all those trials that life threw at you and your child. Just continue to bring your child to his pediatrician for continuous checkups about his health. This is very important for him.

    >Chalice Lindgren

    ReplyDelete