Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Easy come... VERY easy go

We lost another contact.... yes, another contact.  Shortest time ever- 8 days.  It was such a nice little contact- +17.  The smallest we've had.  Patch time this past week was, well, less traumatic.  Not easy.  Never easy. 

We've now gone through 9 contacts in 11 months.  In case you were wondering, that is $2,250 worth of contact lenses.  To be fair, 2 of these are still sitting in the little bottles that I've been saving, 2 that we didn't lose but simply had a change in prescription.  One got sent back to B&L because it irritated Tommy's eyes...  But that leaves 6 lost.  Where do these rogue contacts go?  Are they hiding out somewhere with single earrings, caps to chapstick... my lost keyless entry system for a car we no longer have?  To think... I cried over that lost "key" for days and was stressed about paying $75 to have it replaced.  I could buy 3 of them for the cost of ONE contact!
Eight days.  Gone.  This loss was harder for some reason.  Maybe because we were doing OK... we were down to 3 patches per day (from 8-10) and it slipped in so nicely and out so easily.  First try,no tears, no red eyes.  Maybe because I feel guilt for letting him cry for a little bit during his nap.  That is likely when he lost it.  I let him cry because he NEEDED his nap and I NEEDED his nap...  And now the contact is gone.
Worse, I let a beautiful, sunny,  60 degree day (rare here in Michigan in March) slip by without enjoying it.  I spent the whole day inside searching... searching.  The crib, the clothes, the sheets, even his diaper in case he ate it.  I know, I know, but that is the desperation I was feeling.  I didn't find it.

Tommy gets a few days without the contact/patching drama.  And still I mourn that stupid little piece of silicone.  Curse that little white spot and curse that stupid little contact.

7 comments:

  1. Boo to lost contacts. We have a wonderful optical place here that exchanges unopened lenses if there's been a prescription change so I've forked over the money to have 2 spares. For those times when it only lasts a few days before it joins the world of lost socks. LOL. And in our house lost kids spoons. Although I think I've finally found the culprit. My 17 month old cleaning up and putting them in the garbage!!
    Enjoy the patch free time and beautiful weather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've asked for spared from our optical place- but they don't seem to mind him having a day off now and then. Clearly they don't have to deal with a kid who has gotten used to no patch!!

      Delete
  2. I HATE lost contacts. They steal the joy right out of a day. I can truly say, I HATE contacts period. I am sorry about the day you lost searching for that dreaded thing. I don't know where you live, but in our part of the country it is supposed to repeat the same weather as yesterday. Hope it is the same for you. If so, I hope you can enjoy it thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I feel your pain, I am so sorry. I wish I had a magic wand that I could wave for you and it would take away all those ill feelings that come from a lost contact. I am doing it right now... did it work?! ;)

    Let it go, you have to, let it go and enjoy today. After my kids went to bed last night I painted my nails while the dishes in the sink sat there... I encourage you to paint your nails a pretty spring color. It helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you have lost another contact. I agree with Amanda - do something fun. Hopefully your weather will be a repeat of yesterday - so enjoy a patch/contact free day and hit a park or playground. He'll love it.

    Somehow losing a contact puts things in perspective and makes the lost socks, keys, spoons, whatever - seem like not such a big deal.

    Maybe the contact fairy will visit your house and it will magically appear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CURSES, I say! Sometimes you just have to be frustrated and sad and angry and resentful and everything else that comes with being an Eye Mom. I'm so sorry:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just found your blog, and have started through this journey with my now 10 month old. She had cataract removal surgery November 23, 2012 in one eye. Thanks for the postings on all of this. I've started something similar, and writing about it seems to be feeling good so far. Thanks again for this information - it has helped our family for sure!

    ReplyDelete