Monday, April 9, 2012

Still in shock

We went on vacation last week to Florida.  I have a lot to blog about... but the one pressing most on my heart is what I will write first.  This happened at Seaworld (which was great and Tommy loved!)  However, I had an experience that I hope never to have again.  In another post, I will talk about what a bad mother I was about poor patching... but that is for later.

Picture this:  A beautiful little girl and a beautiful little boy in a double strolled pushed by a serene exhausted mother through the idyllic crowded amusement park.  In fact- it looked a little like this:
Pretend he is patched...

Here is the patch




We were waiting near some benches in the shade when I noticed a man come over a few feet away from me, POINT at Tommy and start speaking and gesturing to his friends, who also came to look.  I'd like to tell you what they were saying, but I have no idea.  I'd like to think they were remarking on Tommy's extreme handsomeness or Addie's beauty... but I don't really think that.  I'm SO MAD!  This was a grown man pointing and talking about my baby!  If he had spoken English, I would have screamed at him (yes, I realize it wouldn't be a good example).  If I thought he'd understand, I'd have explained.  My mom tried to suggest that maybe he was intrigued by the cute patch.  I think he was just rude.  I can't think of any culture where pointing and gesturing is considered OK.

This didn't ruin my vacation.  It didn't even ruin that day.  It is just a blip- but a terrible, awful, I-hate-people kind of blip.  

On a happier note.  At Animal Kingdom, I saw a little girl (maybe 6 years?) with a patch on her glasses.  I have no idea what the reason was- it was her vacation- I didn't want to talk to them about the patch (not to mention that Tommy wasn't currently patched so it would've just been weird).  She was chosen to help out in the Lion King show and I was so happy!  No one pointed or laughed either!  Yay for patched kids and patching moms/dads!!!  And boo to ignorant adults.

4 comments:

  1. Adults are usually the worst offenders in the pointing and talking department. Since they talk about you so much in front of you, some feel the need to come over and ask a random question. Younger kids usually just want to know if he is hurt.

    Also, the caption on the stroller picture. Too funny! Just so you know, I can see the imaginary patch. My son wore one over Easter weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you ran into an ignorant adult... yes, they are out there. :( We were in Target over the weekend and walked past an ignorant lady who gave us one of those triple take stares. You know, the kind where she looks, look at me to see if I am looking, and then she can't help herself and looks back down at my stunningly handsome, patching child with curiosity and horror on her face. I reminded myself that my strength is his strength... and as hard as that is, you taught Tommy and those around you how to stay strong. Love the patching little girl story! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you had to endure the pointing and staring. People can be so rude. I sometimes wish they would just ask so I could explain. Or at least not point or laugh. It hurts my heart to hear that people can't be respectful to a child! And I see the imaginary patch - it is definitely there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People are so rude. It is ridiculous. I have said (very loudly) to Anderson, "Some people clearly were not taught manners and they stare. Isn't that rude?" Which, of course, is a little rude of me, but whatever. Public is rude, ignorant and sort of awful at times. But, then, more often than not, public will step it up and be surprising like the little girl with the patch. She probably stole the show with her precious patch!

    It still is hardest on the mommy. It just is.

    ReplyDelete