Friday, April 15, 2011

The day of surgery

The day was finally here- surgery day.  A day we both anticipated and dreaded. 
Tommy's surgery was scheduled on a Monday- which appears to be "surgery day" for our ophthalmologist.  Tommy couldn't eat for 4 hours prior to surgery- which I thought was going to be a DISASTER for this little baby would eat non-stop if he could.  Check-in was at 6:30am, so he ate last at 2:30am.  I got him ready and at about 4:30am he started crying- poor baby was hungry!  We left the house at 5am (it was only a 30 minute drive- well, less at that time of day- but we didn't want to be late).  Tommy fell asleep (thankfully) in the car and was an ANGEL the whole time.
We checked in at the appropriate place and waited for our names to be called..
He slept the entire time we waited.  We finally got called back to pre-op for more waiting.  A nurse came by to take his vitals (the chunky monkey was already 13 pounds!) and check him in.  They gave him a hospital bracelet- and still he slept on!  The anesthesia resident came by and asked his questions and gave his spiel.  I asked him what they would be using and made him tell me drug names (we never open with "hi, we are pharmacists!" because we don't want to be those annoying people but we do insist on knowing what our kids will be getting.)   I have to admit that he was a little scruffy and he made me nervous.  I know that appearances mean very little, but he had the 3-day scruff going on and it made him look a little less professional, I like my doctors to be clean-shaven!  (You should know that my husband thinks I am crazy for this thought!)  The ophthalmologist resident came by and she marked his eye with a marker to make sure they operated on the correct eye.  It was the strangest thing!  There was a magic marker all wrapped up in sterile wrapping- I understand why, it was just weird to see.  The attending anesthesiologist and another ophthalmologist resident came by- it seemed like a million people came and asked the same (or similar) questions... but we were at a teaching hospital, so it is common.  I know people get annoyed by this, but I found it reassuring that so many people were thinking about my baby!   At last it was time to take him- the attending anesthesiologist came and took him in her arms (which I am very grateful for, it was much less intimidating than wheeling him off in a big bed).  I still cried, but it could've been worse.  We were then lead back to the family waiting room.  At the reception area we received a pager that would go off if they needed to talk with us.

FYI:  In medical training, there are residents and fellows.  Residents are licensed professionals (in this case physicians) who are in post-graduate training.  This can be in general medicine or specialty areas (such as anesthesia or ophthalmology).  Fellows are also in post-graduate training, but are also post-residency.  They are specializing in an area and are undergoing more extensive clinical training as well as adding a research component to their training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment