Friday, April 15, 2011

First Day of Contacts!

The contacts finally came and it was time to put them in.  Tommy's dad had put the contact in fairly easily in the office when they were showing us how, but it had been over a week since that tutorial.

We had everything ready, he took the contact out and wet it, just like he was shown in the office.  He folded it like a taco just as he was told.  He pushed his upper lid up and tried to put it in... and no go.  Tommy screwed his eyes up tight and started fussing.  Tommy had gotten very tolerant to the eye drops and eye ointment he's had to use over the past two weeks, but when he scrunches up his eyes, it is nearly impossible to open them.  This was one of those times.  The stress was palpable- I felt terrible for both of them.  I could only imagine how frustrating it was for his dad- and poor Tommy probably felt tortured.  About 5-6 tries (and much stress) later, he tried and it was in- or at least it wasn't on his finger anymore.  But, we couldn't see it in Tommy's eyes.  (It was hard to see anything since Tommy was closing his eyes up tight).  We let Tommy have a short nap and looked around on the floor (just in case).  When Tommy opened his eyes again- we STILL couldn't see it.  Now were were starting to sweat.  This was our first try- and we couldn't see it.  His dad THOUGHT he saw it up high, be we couldn't be sure.   (Remeber, these babies are $500 each!)  We decided to call the ophthalmologist office for advice.  We were thinking that we'd probably have to go to the office the next day and have them remove it or look at it or something.  When I finally got to talk to the nurse, I hear "There, I see it, it is on his eye now!".  What a relief!  Even though I had to stammer through something to discuss with the nurse (I just asked what we should do in the future if it gets stuck high in the eye), I felt MUCH better that it was in.

There is a great video posted on YouTube from a mom who has two sons in contacts:  http://www.youtube.com/user/suebhoney2672
She is incredible- we've watched this a few times.  Maybe I can convince my husband to make his own video since he is so good at it!  I thought about taking pictures this time, but I figured he would nix that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment